The Obama Administration has threatened to take its request for an emergency stay of a temporary injunction that blocked President Obama’s executive actions on immigration, unless the federal judge in the case acts by the end of Monday.
“Defendants respectfully request expedited consideration of their motion and a ruling as soon as possible,” the Justice Department wrote in a submission to federal judge Andrew Hanen.
This is not the first time the Obama Administration has tried to pressure the judge into more swiftly acting on this case – when the feds asked for a stay of his injunction, they threatened to go to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals two days later, on February 25.
But that day came and went, and the feds did not rush to a higher court.
The Justice Department made clear last week that it wants to end this round of legal battling – which is just a request for an emergency stay of Judge Hanen’ original ruling.
In a court filing last week, the feds said the Obama Administration does “not intend to file any further reply” to a call by the state of Texas to further investigate how the feds extended some protections of the President’s actions – before the program officially was to go into effect on February 18.
The State of Texas, which is leading this multi-state lawsuit against the Obama Administration, said last week that there should be no rush, arguing for additional legal work.
“Good cause exists to authorize limited early discovery,” Texas argued about the advance start of the President’s immigration program, where young people brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents had been given extra time to stay in the country without being threatened with deportation.